Child Custody Lawyers: Modifying Custody in California

Child custody lawyers, well-versed in California’s family laws, grasp the nuances of custody arrangements. If your current plan proves inadequate, follow these steps:

  • Begin by filing a Petition for Modification (form FL-300 or JV-180) in the court that issued your order. Family lawyers can aid you in this process, helping you specify issues and changes in circumstances.
  • Then, promptly notify the other parent within 30 days of filing your petition to ensure a timely response. Proper service is crucial to avoid delays, as emphasized by child custody lawyers.
  • Collect supporting evidence to strengthen your case, such as school or medical records, and declarations from relevant professionals. Child custody lawyers can assist in gathering and organizing this documentation.
  • Ensure compliance with all filing requirements, including forms like the FL-150 Income and Expense Declaration or FL-311 Child Custody and Visitation Application Attachment. Child custody lawyers can review your paperwork for accuracy and completeness.
  • Be prepared to articulate why the current arrangement is detrimental and how your proposed change benefits the child’s best interests during the court hearing. We can adeptly represent you and advocate for your position.
  • Await the court’s decision, which, if approved, will result in a written order modifying custody and visitation. Child custody lawyers can clarify the implications and ensure compliance with the new order. The court weighs factors like the child’s safety, sibling cohesion, and parental contact frequency. Family lawyers can present compelling arguments based on these considerations.

Seeking guidance from experienced family law attorneys is essential to navigate this process effectively. Our experienced lawyers offer comprehensive assistance. Contact us today for support.

Checkout our 144 reviews